5/23/2012

Pepper Pesto

The weather feels desert like here and my appetite shrinks with every hour, not the worst thing in the world but it makes me want to eat the good stuff when I feel like eating something. A few weeks ago I found a recipe to a "Pepper Pesto" and I thought the weather is very mediterranean why not eat mediterranean? And a pepper pesto sounds pretty mediterranean to me.

pepper pesto 4

Here is what the recipe calls for:
3 red bell peppers
2 garlic cloves
50 gr almonds (flaked)
olive oil (as much as you like, I used about 200 ml, which was about half the amount of the peeper paste)
pepper and salt to taste, as well as chili pepper flakes


first I cut the bell peppers in halves, then placed them on a baking rack and grilled them in the oven until they turned black. After taking them out of the oven I put a damp piece of kitchen paper on top and let them sit a while (this will make it easier to peel them). Then I peeled them, and I didn't wash them as that would take away the grilled aroma.
pepper pesto 1
Put the halves into the food processor/mixer.
Then I lightly roasted the almonds (I didn't have flaked ones so I just crushed normal ones and took care when roasting them, as they burn easier when crushed so small).
pepper pesto 2
Add the roasted almonds to the peppers.
With the next step I took some time, as I wanted the garlic to infuse the olive oil. I added about a table spoon of olive oil to a pan and added the sliced garlic. Then I turned on the stove to smallest heat (? do you say it that way, smallest heat) and let it start to simmer gently. This took a few minutes and smelled delightful.
pepper pesto 3
I also added the garlic with its oil to the food processor and mixed everything well. I added the rest of the olive oil as I mixed, as well as some pepper, salt and the chili flakes.
After following the original recipe I tasted the pesto and found it a tad too boring. That's why I also added a teaspoon of white vinegar and a pinch of sugar. That gave it a nice turn.
I served it with spaghetti and a generous amount of freshly grated Parmiggiano Reggiano.

1 Kommentar:

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.